Monday, August 27, 2012

Romney: Not everyone likes me, but "I am who I am"

From CBS News Political Hotsheet:  Romney: Not everyone likes me, but "I am who I am"

(CBS News) In an interview with Politico published Monday, Mitt Romney conceded that voters may think President Obama is more likable, but he reiterated that he's not going to put on a charade to win over voters.
"I know there are some people who do a very good job acting and pretend they're something they're not," Romney said. "You get what you see. I am who I am."

Romney used Popeye's famous line, "I am who I am," three times in the 30-minute interview to defend his buttoned-up personality, according to Politico.

Romney will have the opportunity this week at the Republican National Convention to re-introduce himself to voters. In order to win voters' trust and support, CBS News political director John Dickerson said Monday on "CBS This Morning," Romney should use the convention to "maybe just tell the story of his life." In spite of pleas for him to open up, Romney so far has been more focused on touting his resume.

Polls have repeatedly shown that voters find Mr. Obama more likable. The latest Washington Post poll shows that 64 percent of American adults said Mr. Obama "seems like the more friendly and likable person," compared to just 25 percent who said Romney does.


"I don't think everybody likes me," Romney told Politico. "I don't believe that, by any means. But I do believe that people of this country are looking for someone who can get the country growing again with more jobs and more take-home pay, and I think they realize this president had four years to do that. ... He got every piece of legislation he wanted passed, and it didn't work. I think they want someone who has a different record, and I do."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment