Monday, August 6, 2012

That "monkey" commercial was probably filmed months ago..

Realize that the commercial Rush comments on below was probably filmed months ago, when they expected some white gymnast named Weieber to win!!! If the Monkey commercial had aired after that result, no one would have noticed.

I didn't see the commercial Rush is talking about, about a monkey - more likely a chimp - on the rings, or the uneven parallel bars or whatever it was, so I can't comment on it. It might be just like that ridiculous thing where some black singer for Burger King had to apologize to the black community because she dared to dance on a table in the restaurant. This was apparently demeaning to blacks. (Most actors in commercials *are* demeaned. The actor who plays Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory actually pretended to be sucked by wolves in a commercial a few years ago!) Anyway, here's what Rush had to say:

So you got your average liberal out there watching the Olympics. Gabby Douglas wins the gold. Costas does his, "Oh, isn't it wonderful." Then they run the commercial with the monkey and a bunch of people say, "That's racist. That's racist." Don't you have to be the racist to make that connection? I mean who would connect a monkey in a commercial to an African-American? Only a racist would do that. I watched the commercial and it didn't even register. In fact, when the controversy arose, I thought, "What is this?" 'Cause I only vaguely remembered -- I remember how the commercial starts. It's a close-up on a monkey with its mouth open smiling on the rings, hands on the rings. I said, "Okay. How anybody gets from there to Gabby Douglas is beyond me." You know, folks, I'll tell you, if you think that's bad, you wouldn't believe what's going on out there on Twitter. This poor girl is being ripped to shreds by liberals and African-Americans because her hair was styled like the white girls on the team. You know, they try to tell us, folks, that we're the racists? These people are the epitome of predictable. They're the ones who see skin color and all this surface stuff. It never struck me. All I figured was you gotta get the hair out of the way if you're doing these gymnastics things. You don't want to go bald in there, send the wrong message. You gotta get the hair out of the way. Okay, fine. She had her hair straightened.

Then I read Jason Whitlock at Fox Sports. He says there's another controversy out there.

Get this one. I'm such a babe in the woods. I mean, I don't even know half the stuff going on out there. Jason Whitlock's writing this piece saying one of the controversies in the African-American women community, quote, unquote, is the straightening of the hair. And a lot of black women -- Snerdley, hang on. They want to straighten the hair but then after that they don't want to do any exercise because that leads to sweat, and that screws up the hair job. Ditto, swimming.

So the whole point was, African-American women are eschewing -- wait a minute, now -- African-American women are eschewing athletics and therefore becoming obese because of their preoccupation with their hair, wanting to straighten it out. I'm reading all this -- (interruption) Well, that's the point. White girls don't want to sweat, either. They want to glisten, but they don't want to sweat. But I'm reading all this, and all of it brought to our attention by a bunch of holier-than-thou liberals who claim that they're the ones who are colorblind. They thrive on this stuff.

I mean, this Gabby Douglas, she's got a great story. It's a miniature Blind Side story, in a way, and she triumphs, and all this is in the aftermath? (interruption) Okay, the hair thing goes back fifty years? Fine, I didn't know. I didn't know the hair thing went back to last week. I mean, no, no. You didn't hear me. You're too busy in there laughing at Dawn's white girl sweat comment. Look, the controversy is that this is why black women are obese, is because they go so far out to straighten their hair that they won't exercise, 'cause that leads to sweat, and then of course they won't swim, can't get on the Olympic swim team -- voila, fat. The whole thing is beyond silly 'cause I look at Michelle Obama. Well, anyway. Here's NBC apologizing. (paraphrasing) "You know what? We played a commercial of a monkey doing gymnastics right after Gabby. We are terribly sorry." Aren't they admitting they're the ones who are racist?

(Now, having said that, it's true that many white racists do compare blacks to chimpanzees. You can't read a message board about one of the Williams sisters without someone making an offensive crack like that. But it's also true that kids do resemble monkeys, trying to climb on things, and since I haven't seen the commercial, I don't know the context.

No comments:

Post a Comment