Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why Did Obama's Aunt Live in Poverty (And Continue to do So)

Obama's Aunt Zeituni Onyango is demanding to be made a citizen. I don't care much about that, but read this:
Zeituni Onyango said she came to the United States in 2000 and had every intention of leaving. Then, however, she says she got deathly ill and was hospitalized. When she recovered, she said she was broke and couldn't afford to leave.

For two years Onyango said she lived in a homeless shelter, before she was assigned public housing despite thousands of legal residents also awaiting assistance. "I didn't take any advantage of the system. The system took advantage of me."

"I didn't ask for it; they gave it to me. Ask your system. I didn't create it or vote for it. Go and ask your system," she said unapologetically.

And she's right. The system provided her assistance despite her status as an illegal immigrant.

My question is, if your Aunt was living in a homeless shelter, and you were some lawyer devoted to making poor people's lives better, wouldn't you invite your Aunt to live with you? Or at least give her money so she could have a place of her own, instead of living in a homeless shelter - on the charity of strangers?

No comments:

Post a Comment