Sunday, July 29, 2012

You can't change anyone's mind using sarcasm

I've posted often about the Hannity forums - the message boards for the Sean Hannity show.

There's a wide spectrum of folks there - Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Independent, etc.

And it's interesting to watch them post. The forums have rules, you're not supposed to insult other members, etc. And occasionally someone will go whining to the Moderators in the Talk to the Moderators folder, which I've always found odd because it seems like in every thread, everyone is insulting everyone else and being uncivil...

And of course every faction makes fun of every other faction. Although I'd have to say that the most vicious posts come from a few guys on the Republican/Conservative side, all snarky and condescending and trying to put everyone els eon the defensive..

But the thing is...after howsoever many years that each of these people have been posting, I doubt if anyone has changed their opinion about anything based on what someone else  has said, because what someone else has said is invariably sarcastic and/or condescending and enough to set your teeth on edge.

I'm currently seething because of one of the moderators. I think there are 4 of them. Most of t hem are all right, but one of them seems a bit power mad - very condescending and sarcastic, so much so that you just want to call him an idiot - but of course if you do you'll be summarily banned.

I'm tempted to do so regardless, he does need cutting down to size. And I would - I wouldn't mind being banned - if my post would just remain, but of course he'd delete that too. So the satisfaction of calling him out for being a jerk would be tempered by the fact that the people who need to see it might not get their chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment