Monday, June 20, 2011

What was NBC Thinking?

I'm an atheist, but I have no problem with crosses on public land or the Ten Commandments in front of Federal buildings. We live in a secular country and as long as I'm not forced to go to church on Sunday, or be a certain religion in order to get a job I want, or to live in a certain neighborhood, what do I care?

And when I say the pledge of allegiance, I do say, "Under God," although my God is not the same as the Christian god, but rather the godhead that is within each and everyone of us.

In any event, yesterday, NBC was covering the fourth round of the US Open, and they "ran a patriotic tribute consisting of words and pictures spliced together with the Pledge of Allegiance, and they left out the words "under God.""

And as a caller to Rush said today, the response was immediate as hundreds of people started phoning in wanting to know why the words "Under God" were omitted.

Well, why were they? Although that phrase, "Under God," has only been in the pledge for 50 years (it was put in during the 1950s when the Cold War against those Godless communists was heating up) the fact is that it is in the Pledge, and so if you're going to say the pledge, you have to say those words.

I mean, why do a "patriotic tribute" if you're going to leave out part of the pledge? Why not choose some other American icon to recite instead, like "My Country Tis of Thee" or something.

Stupidity on NBC's part.
RUSH: "Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954. For almost my entire life, the Pledge of Allegiance has contained the words "under God." So for it not to show up at NBC yesterday, somebody had to take it out -- which is an actual physical movement or decision.


And the source for it: NB: NBC Apologizes For Editing Out 'Portion' Of Pledge-But Doesn't Mention Omitted Words Were 'Under God'
______________
My Schedule of Regular Posts:
*Monday through Friday morning - schedules of President, VP and Secretary of State and her diplomats
*Monday through Friday afternoon - List of topics Limbaugh discussed on his program that day
*Monday through Friday throughout the day - My posts on anything that I feel like talking about. At least one or two a day, sometimes more.
*Saturday through Sunday morning - An addition to my booklist of political books - covering Democrats, Republicans and other interested parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment