Friday, June 17, 2011

Life Lesson From Rush And His New Tea Business

The lesson? Save up your own money to start your business, and know it inside and out.
RUSH: The life lesson -- (interruption) jealousy, yeah, but it goes deeper than that. That's the crossroads we're at in this country. That's exactly the problem that we face. Everything I have is from being a businessman, pure and simple. I haven't been subsidized. I haven't been granted or given anything, and yet there's this deep resentment for it. Now, that's always been the case, human nature, jealousy, envy, what have you. But it's reaching new heights and new proportions out there. For example, I mean she's a nice lady, but when she finally got to the point she wanted to condemn my new tea business.

I'm investing my own money. I didn't ask her for any. I didn't take any money from a pool that she would have access to, resulting in a smaller pool for her. I didn't inherit anything. Nobody gave me anything. I never ask anybody for anything. And yet, "Well, easy for you to do, you had your own money; the rest of us would have to go get a loan." Well, I decided to wait, if the day ever came, until I had the money to invest rather than borrow. That's just me. Other people go out and do whatever they have to do to access money, borrow it or what have you. It's the way of the world. It's fine and dandy in that regard. But this is actually one of the reasons that we endeavor to do this in this economic climate.

I sit here and I talk all the time about the private sector, how it works, and in my own sphere, in broadcasting and media, I am a businessman, and I know that business left and right. I know it in and out. I know it backwards and forwards. But I've never taken a product to market from scratch. I know theoretically what all's involved. I know people who have. I know the hoops that they have to jump through and the obstacles, but I had never experienced them, and now I know them. And to bring a product like this to market from scratch, the regulatory hoops that we had to go through, there's a lot of obstacles that you have to deal with. The FDA, all kinds of legals, you wouldn't believe the intricacy of the legals. It took us a month to get legal approval on the label for the bottle, the way the ingredients are. All of this has been a tremendous educational experience for me because it helps me relate to other people who have done this both large and small.

Another reason that I wanted to do it, 'cause when I was in the process of doing it, my family knew and a select small number of people. I couldn't tell anybody because I didn't want the secret getting out. We're doing it ourselves, small little outfit here and if some big corporate entity got word of this they could have beat us to the market with this because they've got systems in place to bring a product to market. They've already done it. We didn't. They coulda slam-dunked us. We had to keep this secret. The people who did know, said, "It doesn't make any sense. Every day you talk about how this economy's not conducive to this kind of stuff, and yet here you are doing it, are you stupid?" And I said, "Well, there's a part of me, I've always said that when they give recessions, I don't participate," and that's irritated people.

But this is the United States of America. Everybody has the ability to try to not participate in a recession. You have the ability to create your own job. That has been one of the greatest things about this country, entrepreneurism. So we did this for a whole host of reasons, and I'm not gonna hold one or the other above any of the rest as something holier-than-thou, but I wanted to do this to show that it could be done despite the obstacles that are there. And even at that, as I told our caller, there's no guarantee of a profit. Nobody has the guarantee of a profit when they start this.


_______
My Schedule of Regular Posts:
*Monday through Friday morning - schedules of President, VP and Secretary of State and her diplomats
*Monday through Friday afternoon - List of topics Limbaugh discussed on his program that day
*Monday through Friday throughout the day - My posts on anything that I feel like talking about. At least one or two a day, sometimes more.
*Saturday through Sunday morning - An addition to my booklist of political books - covering Democrats, Republicans and other interested parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment