Friday, October 29, 2010

Putting the Kibosh on Violent Video Games

As Rush states below, we have a cultural problem. All these violent video games are being created - and they are so realistic, and contain not only violence but sex. I don't think they should be allowed...but of course if you shut down the company's they'll cry censorship.

But what else can be done? Most parents these days aren't fit to be parents. They exercise no control over their kids, so when their kids play these games, you can bet they're going to spill over into real life. A simple situation that could be defused by words will be defused by violence, because that's all kids know these days.
RUSH: All right. Now, I'm 59. As long as I've been an adult, since I was 21, I have been concerned about the infringements on free speech that come from Democrat regimes and courts because I'm in the free speech business.

CALLER: Mmm-hmm.

RUSH: I've been concerned about the reimposition of the Fairness Doctrine. I am glad this is happening. If it takes an impingement on free speech in something you're interested in, video games, to alert you to what's happening throughout society then I'm glad it's happening, because I'm sure you oppose this.

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: Your video game is your video game and you don't think the government should have any role whatsoever in applying any artistic sanction to it or any stamp of approval -- you can say that but you can't say that -- because that's not permitted. The market should determine this, correct?

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: If you want to buy something raunchy in a video game, you should be allowed to, and if it's too raunchy the market won't support it? Fine, it dies. If the market likes it, then we got a cultural problem to deal with, but the government ought to have nothing to do with it. Right? You agree?

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: Okay, then. Join me any time the government tries to impinge on anybody's speech. Join me when the government tries to tell you can't eat trans fat. Join me when the government gets involved in all these other behavioral and speech things that they try to tell you and control us we can't do: What kind of car we have to drive, whether or not we're responsible for global warming, the kind of lightbulb we have to have, where our thermostats are. Get on board, my buddy. If it's taken a video game to get you interested and have the light go off, to have you see what liberalism is all about, I'm glad to have you on our side, 'cause I agree with you. Leave your game alone. The people that put together these video games are artists in their own right. If you're gonna start saying that video games are raunchy, then how the hell do you leave cable television alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment