Monday, March 5, 2012

With great power comes great responsbility

Rush indulged in some false modesty today, and it was stupid and insulting to everybody.

"I'm a guy on the radio. What do I do? I talk? I put syllables together. Sometimes they make sense. It's called words, and the words make sentences. And there's fear of me."

For some reason everything he said in regards to this wasn't in the transcript, but I was listening and I know what he said.

For him to characterize himself as "a guy on the radio putting syllables together" is so disingenuous. If people didn't agree with his views, they wouldn't listen to him!

Yes, he has power. And he needs to use it a bit more wisely than making demeaning remarks about women. (And I'm not talking about the Fluker debacle.) But to characterize women talking as a "gaggle", a reporter as a "babette", charactering his golf shot as "an Oprah" because it's "fat" (he could just as easily have called it a Rush, eh?).

Rush isn't a racist, but he most definitely is a male chauvanist. I don't think he should lose his job for that. But people have to understand that that's a flaw in his character.

No comments:

Post a Comment