Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The MLK Monument on the Washington Mall



Rush gets a dig in that it was "the Chi Coms" who sculpted the MLK statue. Well, it wasn't all of China, it was one sculptor who just happens to be Chinese and lives in a country that is communist.
Story #5: Controversy Over ChiCom-Made MLK Monument

RUSH: Kevin in Green Valley, Arizona, asked me, "Why was the Martin Luther King statue made in China and no one's saying anything about that? I know Maya Angelou is coming out talking about the quote being shortened." He's really done it now. Now he's really done it. Wait 'til Andre Carson hears that a guy who was "lukewarm in the Tea Party" but now full bore wants to join the Tea Party, called here and then talked about the Martin Luther King memorial being made by the ChiComs.

The truth is what sets these people off. (interruption) Yes, there's a controversy over the statue because it looks Asian and that it's white. I'm fully aware of it, Snerdley. Right before the break, Snerdley asked me -- and it kind of frosts me when Snerdley asks me if I know something. I mean, who am I? You know, I'm not a potted plant here. So Snerdley asked me if I knew that people were complaining that the Martin Luther King memorial had -- well, some people looked at it and thought they saw Asian facial characteristics in the carving. I knew that, and others were complaining that it was white and not dark granite or something, that it was white. Now, the Martin Luther King statue was made by the ChiComs 'cause it was $8 million cheaper to make in China. Did you know that? Okay, see? All right, see, well, I did. One of the reasons, it was $8 million cheaper -- (interruption) yeah, it's a big reason. It was $8 million cheaper.

Now, you people judging this thing on the color, I had to laugh. There were people seriously upset that the Martin Luther King statue was white. I think that we should judge the statue by the content of its carving, not the color of its surface, but that's just me. Well, that's just some people's opinion. The Asian thing -- (interruption) what do you mean how am I gonna get around it? I'm not asserting it. I'm just saying some people look at it and see Asian influences. I'm not saying so. The stone actually has a pink tone, but if you take a picture in the right light, usually shot in shadow, that will make it look darker, and everybody will be happy. (interruption) None of the questions predating this? Okay, ask a serious question. What can we do in this country cheaper than -- (interruption) well, yes, the ChiComs cannot build warships yet. The ChiComs cannot build aircraft. They still buy their aircraft from Airbus or Boeing, although the ChiComs are very proud, though. They do have like a 30-year-old aircraft carrier they're refurbishing and they're very proud of that. It's strictly a matter of labor.

Do you know what the iPhone would cost -- I read this, I can't remember where nor how long ago, the iPhone would cost something close to $2,000 if it were manufactured here at union wages. By the time you take the parts and assemble them, same amount of time it takes in Shenzhen with most of the iPhones, iPads are made, costs close to $2,000. Now, the Wall Street Journal, you ask me what did we make better? I'm not kidding you, you're gonna think I'm making this up. (laughing) I was afraid you'd mention this. (laughing) The Wall Street Journal says that the United States still makes the best paper clips. (laughing) I am not making it up.






______________
My Schedule of Regular Posts:
*Monday through Friday morning - schedules of President, VP and Secretary of State and her diplomats
*Monday through Friday afternoon - List of topics Limbaugh discussed on his program that day
*Monday through Friday throughout the day - My posts on anything that I feel like talking about. At least one or two a day, sometimes more.
*Saturday through Sunday morning - An addition to my booklist of political books - covering Democrats, Republicans and other interested parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment