Friday, January 28, 2011

Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel

That's a quote from The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, for anybody who thinks I'm making an insensitive religious type joke....

Mark Steyn filled in for Rush today, while Rush was filming one of his golf shows.

I had a cable guy come out to replace DirectTV, which did not get local channels out here in Cheyenne, WY, with Cable, which does. We had 3 tvs for him to hook up. Two of them work. Mine - the most important one - doesn't.

Of course, I'm mostly angry at myself because I left him alone while he did the work (he had to hook up a splitter through my internet line, also from this cable company) and then apparently never turned on the TV to make sure that the channels were coming in. And I never turned it on either while he was still here, just to make sure everything worked. But I didn't want to "insult" the guy by doublechecking things while he was here.

Stupid on my part.

So I come downstairs, ready to watch the rest of the Torrey Pines golf tournament...turn on the TV...and nothing, no signal.

Everything else works - my VHS plays, my DVD-R records... but no cable signal.

So of course the guy was long gone and when I tried to call the company I got a computerized voice which just went on and on and on...

So I need to chill out with a Pepsi and some hot buttered toast.

But there's the moral. Double-check everything, and if a workman gets annoyed and thinks that you're casting doubts on their proficiency, that's their problem. (In the same way, don't be annoyed when someone doublechecks your work, while you're still around to make fixes if you have to . IT's only common sense, and I sure as heck which I'd employed it earlier.)

No comments:

Post a Comment