Monday, March 5, 2012

The Sexualization of Children in America

I have another blog, which I call Devolution Media, in which I see some reprehensible commercial, ad, and the occasional movie or TV show, and post about it.

I don't watch a lot of first-run TV with commercials, but when I do, the commercials inevitably have a sexual component. That's nothing new. Everyone knows that "sex" sells. But it's the type of sex they're selling that has long disturbed me.

You wonder why so many women in the USA, who can do anything they want, be anything they want, settle for getting pregnant at age 16 and popping out babies for the rest of their lives.

You wonder by so many men participate in this baby making process - than dump the baby and the woman and move on.... well - that's always happened!

I blame it on the media - on the commercials that sexualize boys and girls from the day they're old enough to be plopped in front of the TV to watch Sesame Street - and any cartoons on the other channels.

Girl/boy roles are firmly fixed in these cartoons and commercials. The boy is always the boss. If the girl is the boss, she's a know-it-all, bossy bitch.

Boys are typically the lead characters - and always have that know-it-all sister for the "comic relief". (Arthur's sister, Jimmy Neutron's girl neighbor, etc.)

The commercials feature action toys for the boys, and dolls for the girls - did you know there are dolls out there - I think they're only in Europe but they will be coming to America soon, I have no doubt, in which the doll goes the bathroom and the girl gets the pleasure of cleaning up after it???? Well, perhaps that's one way of teaching girls at a very young age that there are responsibilities to having babies - I wonder if the poop smells real or if they even go into that issue?)

We've got the toddler's beauty pageants. 4 year old , 5 year old girls primped up in makeup and sexy dresses. How does that effect them? Doesn't that teach them that their only reason for existence is to be attractive to men?

Then there's the cheerleaders for every male sport team. Do any of them wear shirts that cover their belly buttons any more? I think not. It looks like they all wear bikini tops and bottoms, and do the sexiest routines possible. It's not about "cheering on" whatever team is on the court or field, it's about "Hey, look at me - want to have sex with me?"

Then we wonder why girls age 13, 14, 15 and so on are having babies - with boys who are not going to marry them and have no interest in them at all except as someone to lie back while they practice their "swordsmanship." And the girls put up with this!

And then there's the girls who see their "boyfriend" talking to another girl, and instead of beating up the boyfriend, they beat up the girl! Or worse, they put up with the boy's cheating because, "I know it's me he really loves."

How delusional can you get?

No comments:

Post a Comment