Friday, March 2, 2012

Hardball has Fluker on as Guest

I don't normally watch Hardball, but I walked into my mom's room and she had it on.

I was just in time to see Chris Mathews excoriating Rush for excoriating Fluker. They showed a clip of Rush joking abut President Obama calling Fluker to ask if she were all right, and then saying that Fluker's parents should be proud of her.

The clip ended with Rush reeling in shock - they did not include what he said then (and I paraphrase): "Hey, mom, I have so much sex here at college that I need help paying for my contraception pills. Aren't you proud of me?"

Frankly, I am on Rush's side in this.

I'm a feminist, I believe women are equal to men, and should form an equal partnership with men in marriage, in business, in whatever. But people - people - having sex like animals without that extra component of love and/or respect, just because it can be done "without consequence" due to birth control - that's terrible.

And can it be done "without consequence" due to birth control? Sure, the woman doesn't get pregnant, but what does it do to her self-respect, and to the respect she should deserve from her male partner... (rather than partners.)

There's quite a dichotonomy though, as I've posted before. I don't think "we" should have to pay for their birth control, but on the other hand, I'd rather pay for them to *not* have children, than to pay for the children who will live on welfare from the day they are born to the day they die - either on welfare from age 1 to 18 and then in prison for the rest of their lives, or what have you. Paying for them not to have kids is a lot cheaper.

And don't get me wrong. I'm talking about all women of all economic groups. Sarah Fluker is 30 years old! Going to law school! You'd think if she could afford to go to law school she could afford to pay for her own birth control.

Then of course there's all my nephews and nieces on my dad's side - they are all illegimate, too. And the mom's can't afford them and are on welfare, and the dad's don't have jobs....it's pathetic.

I'll post more on this at a later time.

1 comment: