Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Do Poor People Even Take Their Kids to See Santa?

Rush shared a story today about a Santa School in which the prospective Santas are being taught to lower kid's expectations. If kids sit on their laps and give them a long list of what they want, the Santas are supposed to say, "Well, sometimes you can't get anything."

But it just makes me wonder... I dont' think poor people let their children sit on Santa's lap, because they know they can't afford to get their kids everything they want (although there are plenty of toy drives out there for the little tykes.)

Only people with money - or with credit cards - will take their kids to see Santa.

Of course the underlying thing about the whole Santa schtick is...parents shouldn't be taking their kid to see Santa in the first place, no matter how much money they have!

Talk about the commercialization - the destruction - of Christmas. The institutionalized greed and "me first" that this type of thing instills in children.

I remember, when I was a kid, I'd get the same thing each year for Christmas - books. And I was happy to get 'em. (Now, admittedly, back when I was growing up in the late 60s and early 70s there were no computers or computer games like there are today).

These days, if each Christmas a kid doesn't get more toys then they got the year before, they throw tantrums. People go into debt to buy toys for their kids, and expensive gifts for their adult family members, all because of this "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

(And of course, there's the violence on the day after Thanksgiving as shoppers beat each other up in order to get good deals.)

It's a sad commentary on the state of US citizens, and it's been going on for decades.


____________
My Schedule of Regular Posts:
*Monday through Friday morning - schedules of President, VP and Secretary of State and her diplomats
*Monday through Friday afternoon - List of topics Limbaugh discussed on his program that day
*Monday through Friday throughout the day - My posts on anything that I feel like talking about. At least one or two a day, sometimes more.
*Saturday through Sunday morning - An addition to my booklist of political books - covering Democrats, Republicans and other interested parties
.

No comments:

Post a Comment