Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Incompetence Rules Again

A few months ago, Rush shared a story about a couple of researchers who were close to a cure for cancer. They had all their data on a laptop computer - which they had never backed up.

And someone stole their laptop.

How stupid is that? To not back up your data, onto multiple backup sources, and then to carry the laptop around in a car and leave that car somewhere where theives abounded?

Now apparently the same thing has happened to BP. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Frightening to think of such stupidity loose in the world.
Story #2: BP Loses Laptop Containing Oil Spill Claimants Data

RUSH: I saw this next story. I keep running into stories like this, and I was flummoxed. "BP Loses Laptop Containing Thousands of Oil Spill Victims' Personal Information -- As if BP's reputation on the Gulf Coast couldn't get any worse, the company is now scrambling to address the disappearance of a laptop containing thousands of names of victims from the last year's massive oil spill. The company announced [yesterday] that an employee lost the laptop, containing 13,000 names and the personal information of individuals who made claims related to the Deepwater Horizon accident last April.

"The password-protected laptop," which will not be a challenge to a thief, "contained an expansive list that contained Social Security numbers, phone numbers and address of the individuals." Thirteen thousand people! What are you thinking right now, Snerdley? What are you...? (laughing) You're thinking LifeLock! There are 13,000 people, their Social Security names now in the hands of somebody who has this laptop. Oh, my gosh. I can't begin... I'm glad my name's not on that laptop. Of course I don't care, 'cause I'm a member of LifeLock, and my Social Security number is protected.


____
In the interests of Order and Method: My Schedule of Regular Posts
*Monday through Friday morning - schedules of President, VP and Secretary of State and her diplomats
*Monday through Friday afternoon - List of topics Limbaugh discussed on his program that day
*Monday through Friday througout the day - My posts on anything that I feel like talking about. At least one or two a day, sometimes more.
*Saturday through Sunday morning - An addition to my booklist of political books - covering Democrats, Republicans and other interested parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment