Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jackson Lee saw "Demeaning to Blacks," I saw insensitive to people in pain

I have another blog, called Devolution Media, and I had a field day with the Super bowl commercials. I found most of them sexist and demeaning.

According to Rush, Jackson Lee felt a Pepsi Max commercial was demeaning.
Anyway, let me get to the point here. I finally watched some of the commercials, and I saw the Pepsi Max commercial, you know which one I'm talking about. "A black woman sitting on a park bench gets angry with her husband after an attractive, white female jogger sits down next to the couple and smiles and waves at the man. After the man smiles back, his girlfriend or wife gets angry and whips her Pepsi Max can at him. The man ducks, and the can hits the attractive jogger in the head. The ad is titled 'Love hurts.'" And I thought, well, you know, it's kind of funny. I was also humorously amazed at how you could use a baby bulldog in Doritos commercials and so forth. I thought those were kind of funny.

But guess what's happened here with this Pepsi commercial? Sheila Jackson Lee is blasting it as a demeaning Super Bowl ad. "Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) said it was ridiculous for the soft drink maker to air the advertisement during African-American history month. 'In this month of African-American history where we're trying to celebrate what is good and great, it certainly seems ridiculous that Pepsi would utilize this kind of humor,' she said. 'It was not humorous. It was demeaning -- an African-American woman throwing something at an African-American male and winding up hitting a Caucasian woman.' Jackson Lee said she has a sense of humor and believes in the First Amendment. She also said the Super Bowl is a great time for 'fellowship' with family members." That's why she's so disappointed with the Pepsi ad.

Now, I have to tell you, I looked at the ad and I did not see colors. Well, I saw colors, but I didn't think there was anything racial here. This was not demeaning to anybody. I'm a conservative. I don't say, "Oh, look at that, white gal gets hit by a black guy and a Pepsi can, oh, wow, how did they get away with it?" I didn't see it that way. I didn't see this as demeaning to anybody. I thought if I'm Pepsi, why do I want to advertise this product by having somebody throw a can of it at somebody? Not whether they're black or white. I thought it was somewhat humorous, but I don't see anything anti-black in this.

I remember that commercial well, I posted about it. I didn't care about the black and white aspect of it, what angered me was that this white woman falls to the ground writhing in pain, and the black couple just walk off and leave her there. That's what sent a bad, unfeeling message, as far as I was concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment