Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stop JIP-ing people when they're talking!

I don't know if that's the right term for it... but Rush, Glenn and Sean will always play audio of some politician, and then insert their own voice-over making fun of what's being said or repeating what's being said in a mocking tone. Kind of like what Mystery Theater 3000 does. Annoys me no end.

So I listened to the opening of Sean Hannity's show, and he's JIP-ing Obama's speech from the last campaign cycle, where Obama admits he took drugs and says, "I inhaled, that was the point." And Hannity is JIP-ing this and making it seem like Obama's makibg it seem "like it's cool. I inhaled. That was the point."

And of course, the reason why Obama said "I inhaled" was because Bill Clinton said, in 1992, "I tried marijuana in England, didn't inhale, and never tried it again." And he was ridiculed for that statement. And so Obama was saying, "Yes, he inhaled," not to be cool but because he wasn't being wishy washy and denying what he'd done as Clinton tried to do.

And unfortunately, the fact that we'd had a president that did drugs as a teenager didn't matter to most voters (a googly percentage of whom, black and white, also do "recreational drugs."

Yes, it would have invalidated him as a candidate to me.

Back to my point. Let the audio speak for itself. If you have to use this voice-over to color people's opinion of the speaker, that means you think your audience is too stupid to get it themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment