Thursday, September 29, 2011

Do Minorities Vote For Welfare, Or For Work?

Rush had a caller today who had a message for Hispanic voters.

And I agree with the guy. Why is it that our Hispanic/Latino citizens and legal immigrants don't get the respect they deserve? Because of the illegals who have poured in here and tarnished their image! If there were no illegals - or at least a very small percentag of them, then people wouldn't automatically assume that anyone of Latino or Hispanic appearance was an illegal! (And let us not forget that our own government and business owners are culpable as well. If businesses wouldnt' have been giving these folks jobs for 30 years and if our own government hadn't been looking the other way while they did it.)
CALLER: Oh, I'm just saying to Hispanic voters. If you support continued illegal immigration, you're cutting your own throat.

RUSH: Well, there's no question that's true. I'm not disputing the logic of what you're saying, but I just don't know how high up on the totem pole I'd put the message.

CALLER: Well, we keep on handing out sugar pills to these people. We need to let them know that if you're voting for current members of the congressional Hispanic caucus, you're also cutting your throat, because they just want more people to come in and take your job and we're running out of resources for welfare.

RUSH: No, no, they don't want people coming in here working. The Democrat Party doesn't want illegal immigrants here working. They want them voting. They want them on the welfare rolls. They don't want them working. They're not a threat to anybody with a job in terms of what the Democrat Party intends for them. I don't disagree with the logic of what you're saying at all. It hinges on the belief here that identity politics works, that Hispanics are going to vote in unison in monolithic ways, and they're going to support Hispanics regardless, whether they're rapists, murderers, illegal immigrants, whatever, I don't know that that's necessarily true. I think that's another one of these myths. Now, it is true of some ethnic groups. It could be true of Hispanics, too. I don't know. I'm just not an identity politics guy. This is probably why I'm never, ever going to be a political advisor. I don't even think this way. In terms of advising somebody, a Republican candidate of what to say, that would never cross my mind.

You start calling people stupid, you're opening yourself up for all kinds of -- (interruption) I don't have a message for women voters and I don't have a message for male voters and I don't have a message for Hispanic voters, I don't have a message for black voters. I just have a message for voters. Maybe I make the mistake assuming they're all Americans, and I would speak to them that way. But, look, that's why I do this and not that. I listen to political people talk about what they've got to do to win elections, and I just scratch my head. They're the experts. How they have to go about this particular block of votes and that particular block of votes and the policy they have to have to do that, and I just don't think that way. (interruption) Hmm. Uh-huh. Well, if I went to an Hispanic audience? Yeah, I'd talk to them about American exceptionalism. I'd talk to them about American exceptionalism. You're here, you want to be an American, you want to be an exceptional American, here's what we're all about, here's how you do it. I'd give them a little American history.

No comments:

Post a Comment