Monday, April 18, 2011

Electronic books putting bookstores out of business?

I don't really see this happening - at least not in the short run. I own a Kindle (as do you, my gentle readers), and most ebooks cost the same as their print versions. And frankly, if I'm going to pay $9.99 for a book, I'm going to buy a used book for $1, instead.

Rush Limbaugh commented on REp Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-IL) blaming Apple for eliminating thousands of American jobs - the minions at bookstores. (Although I think Borders is closing because of Amazon, and Ebay and places like that, not because of ebooks.)

But what does he want Apple to do - stop selling the IPad?

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-IL), who admits to owning an iPad, blames the Apple Inc. product for "eliminating thousands of American jobs."

"A few short weeks ago I came to the House floor after having purchased an iPad and said that I happened to believe, Mr. Speaker, that at some point in time this new device, which is now probably responsible for eliminating thousands of American jobs. Now Borders is closing stores because, why do you need to go to Borders anymore? Why do you need to go to Barnes & Noble? Buy an iPad and download your newspaper, download your book, download your magazine," Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-IL, Chicago) said on the House floor Friday afternoon.

Ironically, it was only last month that Rep. Jackson was promoting the Apple iPad and Amazon on the House floor.





_____________
In the interests of Order and Method: My Schedule of Regular Posts:
*Monday through Friday morning - schedules of President, VP and Secretary of State and her diplomats
*Monday through Friday afternoon - List of topics Limbaugh discussed on his program that day
*Monday through Friday througout the day - My posts on anything that I feel like talking about. At least one or two a day, sometimes more.
*Saturday through Sunday morning - An addition to my booklist of political books - covering Democrats, Republicans and other interested parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment