Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Stop it with the misleading headlines!

This is something that's annoyed me on occasion about Rush's site. I don't think Rush writes the actual headlines, but someone does and they deliberately lie.

For example, the headline on the site is "The Oprah Cries Over Lesbian Talk". And then you read the transcript and it's not that at all. She's crying because the woman (Gayle King) is a great fried of hers.

And I too would be angry if someone called me a liar. If I'm asked once, "Are you a lesbian," and I say "no," then that's it. It should be end of discussion. (And for the record, I'm not a lesbian, though no one has ever accused me of being one, but I'm all for gay rights. Equality - not supra-equality, mark you.) But a person's sexual orientation is no one else's business - unless they're the type of person who publically decries homosexuality while privately engaging in it. That type of person does need to be exposed for the hypocrite they are. And I'm not talking about Oprah here but a few politicians, usually of the Republican persuasion.)

But the mainstream media these days, so intent on gossip and style over substance, never let anything go, regardless of whether it's asking a football or basketball player or coach the same thing a gazillion times until he loses his temper, to someone in the entertainment industry, etc.

Anyway, here's what LImbaugh had to say.
RUSH: Did you see Oprah yesterday? Did you hear about Oprah yesterday? Well, she was with Barbara Walters. What has my theory about Oprah always been? Snerdley, you know. You've been listening to me since the beginning. My theory is that Oprah is where she is 'cause she cries a lot. Well, the river of tears flowed yesterday. Barbara Walters asked her if she was a lesbian, and she says she's not a lesbian. Here's the question from Barbara Walters: "Gayle King, a lot of women have close friends, very few as close as yours. Describe that friendship to me."

OPRAH: Whoo. Okay. (crying) She is the mother I never had. She is the sister everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves. I don't know a better person.

WALTERS: Why is it making you cry?

OPRAH: Shoot. (crying) I wasn't gonna cry here. It's making me cry 'cause I'm thinking about how much I probably have never told her that. Tissue, please. I now need tissue.

RUSH: Aweee. She just broke down out there talking about Gayle King. So during the interview Barbara Walters said, "So when these dumb rumors come up that you're gay, that you are a lesbian, what do you say?"

OPRAH: I have said we are not gay enough times. I'm not lesbian. I'm not even kinda lesbian. And the reason why it irritates me is because it means that somebody must think I'm lying.

RUSH: Well, what's so bad about being a lesbian? What's wrong with that? You know, she's pretty forceful here, "I'm not gay. I've said that enough times. I'm not lesbian. I'm not even kind of lesbian." Okay, we get it. Barbara didn't ask her out. What's so bad about being a lesbian?

No comments:

Post a Comment